Alexei Pavlovich Khrapovitskii was born on March 29, 1863 in the Vatagino estate, in the Novgorod province, in the family of a general. Together with his family in 1872 he moved to St. Petersburg. In 1881 he graduated with honors from the Fifth Petersburg Gymnasium and entered the St. Petersburg Theological Academy. After 4 years, Khrapovitsky graduated from the academy and took monastic vows with the name Anthonii. Then he taught at the Kholm Theological Seminary, and in 1887 became an assistant professor at the St. Petersburg Theological Academy. Having accepted the rank of archimandrite, Khrapovitskii in 1890 was invited to the post of rector of the Moscow Theological Academy at the Trinity-Sergius Lavra. In 1894, Father Anthonii left for Kazan to lead the local theological academy. In 1899 he was appointed Bishop of Cheboksary, Vicar of the Kazan Diocese. A year later, Khrapovitskii was sent to Ufa, and in April 1902 he was transferred to Zhitomir, where he was in the rank of Bishop of Volyn until the outbreak of the First World War. In the period from 1906 to 1907, Vladyka Anthonii was a member of the State Council. With the outbreak of war, he became the archbishop of Kharkov. The February Revolution of 1917 and the advent of a new government called into question the presence of Archbishop Anthonii in his post. He was sent to a monastery on Valaam.¹

At the end of 1917, Vladyka returned to Kharkov and in May 1918 he was elected Metropolitan of Kyiv and Galicia. In the same year he was Chairman of the All-Ukrainian Church Council. He was often arrested by the Polish authorities and supporters of Symon Petliura. Anthonii was under the protection of the French military mission and was able to go first to Lvov, then to Rostov and Kyiv, when Denikin's White Army occupied him. In November 1919, Vladyka moved to Yekaterinodar. Metropolitan Anthonii temporarily ruled the Kuban diocese, headed the Supreme Provisional Church Administration in the South-East of Russia (VVCU). In 1920, he decided to leave Novorossiysk and moved to the Russian monastery of St. Panteleimon on Mount Athos. For some time, Vladyka returned to Sevastopol to evacuate the White Army of General Wrangel.² In November 1920, he finally left Russia.³

Metropolitan Anthonii was in the camp of the Russian army in Gallipoli . At the end of the year, Metropolitan Anthonii, by decree of Patriarch Tikhon , headed the Supreme Church Administration of the Russian Orthodox Church Outside of Russia ( ROCOR Synod). At the invitation of the Serbian Patriarch Dimitri , as well as through the efforts of his disciple Bishop Dosifey (Vasich) of Nis , Metropolitan Anthony arrived in Belgrade in February 1921. A little later, Vladyka moved to the Patriarchal Palace in Sremski Karlovci. He actively supported prominent figures of the Russian emigration and the legitimate successors of the emperor - Grand Dukes Nikolai Nikolaevich and Kirill Vladimirovich. Participated in trips around Europe to establish contacts with the hierarchs of other European confessions. In 1927, he sharply criticized the appeal of Metropolitan Sergius (Stragorodsky), who advocated the loyalty of ROCOR clergy to the Bolsheviks. In the 1930s, Metropolitan Anthony's health was not in the best condition. On August 10, 1936, Vladyka died in Sremski Karlovts.⁴
Anthonii (Khrapovitskii Alexei Pavlovich) (1863-1936)
Anthonii (Khrapovitskii Alexei Pavlovich) (1863-1936)
[1] “Antonii (Khrapovitskii).” Drevo, 24 Feb. 2014,
[2] Rosliakov, Evgenii. “Nachalo Tserkovnoi Deiatel’nosti Antoniia (Khrapovitskogo) v Otsenkakh i Vospominaniiakh Sovremennikov.” Obshchestvo: Filosofia, Istoria, Kul’tura, 2016,[3] Rosliakov, Evgenii. “Mitropolit Antonii (Khrapovitskii) v Sovetskoi Istoriografii 1920–1930-Kh Godov.” Izvestiia VGPU, 2016, pp. 170–74,
[4] Kostrukov, Andrei. Russkaia Zarubezhnaya Tserkov’ v Pervoi Polovine 1920-Kh Godov. Organizatsiya Tserkovnogo Upravleniia v Emigratsii i Yego Otnosheniia s Moskovskoi Patriarkhiei Pri Zhizni Patriarkha Tikhona. Izd-vo PSTGU, 2007.
Made on